Are you looking for grass to get your blind ready for duck season?
If so, you’ll be excited about today’s article.
A well covered blind can double your bird success rate…
If not more!
The following are the specific duck blind grasses we like the best.
- Made of tightly woven palm leaves and secured with rot-proof cords
- This grass mat can be used to wrap around a boat or a support frame in the field
- Your 2- 4X4 Grass Mats from Wildfowler Outfitter come with a set of plastic ties that make it easy to attach two or more of your mats together to convert to a 4 x 8 mat.
The clear choice for us is the 4′ x 8′ Wildflower Natural Grass Mat. These mats are well woven and more durable than most other blind grass mats and kits. It is our top pick if you are looking to add grass cover to your duck blind.
The 5 Top-Rated Duck Blind Grass
|Top Pick||Wildflower Mat||9.5|
|Best Loose Blind Grass||Cabela's Northern Flight||9.2|
|Best Blind Cover Grass||Gibson Cover||9.5|
|Best Blind Netting||Auscamotek||9.1|
|Runner Up||Forever Bamboo||9.0|
Best Duck Blind Grass: Wildflower Natural Grass Mat
If you are looking for easy to use grass mats for your duck blind, these mats from Wildflower are an excellent choice.
These are woven together really well, making them easy to handle to put in place on your blind.
The mats come in two 4′ x 4′ panels which can be attached together to make a 4′ x 8′ mat.
Wildflower uses palm leaves for the grass with rot-proof cords to hold them together.
The strong weave helps these stand up well to wind, rain, and other harsh conditions.
These are a great choice for your blind.
- Palm Leaves
- 4′ x 8′
Best Loose Blind Grass: Cabela’s Northern Flight
If you are looking for loose grass instead of grass mats like above, checkout the Northern Flight Grass Bundles from Cabela’s.
These kits are dyed in various colors to help blend in with your terrain.
The loose grass is a little more versatile and customizable than the mats above but it does require more time to set up and lay out.
Cabela’s sells these in 5 lb. bundles. Depending on the size of your boat, you might need a few bundles.
- Loose Grass
- 5 lb. Bundle
- Various Colors
Best Blind Cover Grass: Gibson Blind Cover
If you are in need of blind covers, we recommend these from Gibson. They come in a pair of 4 foot covers.
The covers flip open easy and quickly, allowing you to let the ducks get in close before they have any chance of spotting you.
Most hunters report a significant improvement in the number of birds they get after starting to use these covers.
The frame is made from a strong, powder-coated steel and is covered with Gibby Grass for concealment.
- Blind Cover
- Gibby Grass
- Steel Frame
- Flips Open Easily
Best Blind Netting: Auscamotek 300D
- Material: 300D polyester oxford fabric durable quiet with no reflection or chemical smell
- Design: Dry reed grass printing and die cutting through enables vast concealment and clear sight in different hunting surroundings
- Sizes: 5ft×20ft(appro.)/1.5m×6m You may also cut the camoflauge nets into your desire size easily just with a hunting knife
For those of you looking for some camo netting, the Auscamotek 300D is a good pick.
These nets come in a few different sizes so you can pick out what is needed for your blind.
The 300D Polyester material is lightweight and durable. It has a dry reed grass printed pattern for concealment.
These are easy to setup and are a good way to add some cover to spots where it is hard to use the options recommended above.
- 300D Polyester
- Dry Reed Grass Pattern
Runner Up: Forever Bamboo Roll
- MEXICAN THATCH ROOF RUNNER ROLLS: Mexican Thatch is a great option for tropical Tiki bar decor, DIY duck blind project, or upgrading your backyard, garden, or any outdoor space to a Hawaiian theme.
- VERSATILE USE: Excellent way to have a natural roofing, shade and cover for tiki huts, Hawaiian palapa roofing, patio umbrellas, or your tropical themed landscape or pool
- EASY INSTALLATION: Apply natural Mexican thatch to roof frames, ceilings, windows, arbors and more with staples or zip-ties
Another good option we came across is this Forever Bamboo Roll.
These rolls come in pretty long lengths and offer a lot of bang for the buck.
Forever Bamboo makes these from palm leaves and hand weaves them in a durable pattern.
They are convenient to use because all you have to do is simply unroll them.
The expected lifespan is 3-5 years.
- Woven Palm Leaves
- Comes in Roll
Who Should Buy Duck Blind Grass
If you are looking to be more successful hunting from your blind, you should consider using blind grass to help you blend in to the natural environment.
No matter if you are hunting from a boat, dry field, or flooded field, extra cover is going invite ducks in while drawing less suspicion.
It is important to make whatever blind you are hunting from look like something that naturally exists in the area you are hunting. You don’t want to just put some grass on your boat and have it stick out like a sore thumb. Ducks will be peeling off like you wouldn’t believe. Try to make it look like some willows etc. and you will find more success.
Important Features to Consider
- Mats or Loose. Mats are generally easily to use and set up. The downside is that they are not as versatile as loose grass. If you have the time and patience, nothing is going to beat well placed loose grass on a blind.
- Blind Type. Are you hunting from a boat, a sunk-in blind, or from dry land? How are you going to anchor the grass to your blind? Both important considerations to think about when planning out your purchase.
- Terrain. It may seem obvious, but make sure you select grass that is going to match the terrain you blind is in. If necessary, you can use rattle can spray paint to customize the coloring to make it match the surroundings better.
How long will these grasses last?
If well taken care of, you can expect to get at least 3 years of use out of these grasses if not more. If you can, try to let them dry out after the season. Replace what you need to as necessary.
Is the grass flame retardant?
No, to our knowledge, none of the products recommended above are flame retardant.