When you’re talking about the most versatile piece of hunting clothing…
It has to be a hoodie.
Hoodies are great for layering when it’s cold or for throwing over a t-shirt when it gets a little chilly out.
The thing with hoodies is… there are tons of different makes and models out there.
Today’s article lists our favorite hunting hoodies and when you might want to use which.
- Merino wool is silent, thermo regulating, and odor free, making the Kiln Hoody a must-have piece for any serious hunter looking for an edge in the backcountry or treestand
- Ergonomic, quarter zip hood for excellent temperature regulation and concealment. Easily lays flat when not in use and stays out from underneath your pack straps or harness
- Thumb loops on the cuffs give the user the ability to easily layer this midweight piece underneath heavier baselayers or outerwear for top notch warmth
When it comes to the best all around hoodie to hunt in, our top pick is the First Lite Kiln hoodie. This is a high quality hoodie that will keep you warm as well as help wick away sweat and moisture.
The 5 Top-Rated Hunting Hoodies
|Top Pick||First Lite Kiln||9.6|
|Best Mid Layer Hoodie||Sitka Fanatic||9.5|
|Warmest Hunting Hoodie||Banded Atchafalaya||9.5|
|Best Everyday Hoodie||Vortex Optics||9.1|
|Runner Up||HOT SHOT Performance Fleece||8.2|
Best Hunting Hoodie: First Lite Kiln
If you are looking for the ultimate hunting hoodie, our top pick is the First Lite Kiln.
Being big fans of merino wool, we love this hoodie. The material is soft and excellent at wicking away moisture.
The Kiln is meant to be a do-it-all base layer during the cold but also works well all by itself in more moderate temperatures.
The hoodie is designed with a half-zip and also has a nice little zipper chest pocket.
First Lite offers it in 6 different color/camo options.
- 95% Merino Wool, 5% Spandex
- 6 Colors Available
Best Mid Layer Hunting Hoodie: Sitka Fanatic
- MOISTURE-WICKING AND BREATHABLE - The Sitka Gear Men's Fanatic Hoody's heavyweight comfort stretch fleece moves with you, and the channeled construction provides additional moisture management and breathability
- BUILT-IN ULTRA BREATHABLE MESH MASK - The built-in quick-dry, lightweight mask can be deployed when the hood is on for enhanced concealment; conceal your face on the move and increase your success rate
- LOW-PROFILE HOOD - The hood is streamlined for maximum peripheral vision; half-zip construction allows room for the built-in hand muff, and integrated flip-over hand mitts keep fingers warm and agile for the moment of truth
If you are in search of the highest performance mid layer hoodie, we recommend the Sitka Fanatic comfort stretch fleece hoodie.
When it comes to high performance hunting gear, Sitka is hard to beat and this hoodie is no exception.
It is made from a mixture of polyester and elastane and designed to keep you warm yet also wick away moisture.
In addition to having a hood, Sitka integrated a built-in mesh face mask for added warmth and concealment.
The hoodie also has a half-zip in the front so you can open it up to cool down quick if needed.
- 88% Polyester, 12% Elastane
- Built-In Face Mask
Warmest Hunting Hoodie: Banded Atchafalaya
- Weather resistant and windproof Stealth-Shell fabric
- Anatomical tri-adjust hood
- Adjustable drawcord hem seals out wind
Looking for a hoodie that will keep you warm? We recommend the Banded Atchafalaya camo hoodie.
The inner portion is lined with a coral fleece that keeps you warm and is so soft it’s like being wrapped in a blanket.
This thing is so warm you would get away with duck hunting in it with just a t-shirt underneath.
The outer shell is made from a water resistant, windproof material that is super quiet.
Banded makes this hoodie in 6 different camo patterns so you should be able to find one that matches your gear and terrain.
- 6 Camo Patterns Available
- Fleece Lined
Best Everyday Hunting Hoodie: Vortex Optics
- Meet your new go-to hoodie. Pack it into the woods for a wicking, water resistant outer layer or spend all day in total comfort in this stretch fabric.
- 100% Polyester
For those of you just looking for a hoodie you can use for everyday wear, checkout the Vortex Optics.
While this isn’t a hoodie we recommend you do any strenuous hunting in, it is well price and well made, making it perfect for everyday use.
It is made from a blend of cotton and polyester and feels soft on the skin.
Overall, it’s a nice sweatshirt at a good price point.
- 60% Cotton, 40% Polyester
- Multiple Camo Patterns Available
Runner Up: HOT SHOT Fleece Hoodie
- PERFORMANCE HOODIE: This HOT SHOT Camo Fleece Hoodie is the perfect clothing option for the outdoors without the bulky thickness you want to avoid. Use as a midweight layering piece to always stay warm and comfortable.
- DURABLE MATERIAL: The midweight hoodie features a 100% polyester performance fleece fabric. The gear is made with Veil Cervidae camouflage to help you blend into your environment while hunting or fishing.
- ATHLETIC FIT: The athletic cut allows for midweight layering over the top or under a coat or jacket. Added bulk is not an issue with this camo pullover as it stays securely close to your body without being too tight.
Another great hoodie option is the HOT SHOT Camo Performance Fleece.
Even though we didn’t rate it as high as some of the others on the list, we still really like this hoodie.
It is made from an athletic fit fleece to insulate you while regulating body temperature as well.
The HOT SHOT camo pattern is awesome looking, and will keep you warm at the same time.
- Athletic Fit Fleece
- Kangaroo Pocket
Who Should Buy a Hunting Hoodie
Everyone needs a hoodie. Hooded sweatshirts are one of the most versatile pieces of clothing a hunter (or anyone) can own.
You can use them as part of your layering when hunting in cold weather. Or you can just throw one on over a t-shirt when it starts to get a little chilly.
The reason you might want a hoodie instead of a long sleeve shirt or hood-less jacket is… because it has a hood!
The hood is great for protecting your ears, neck, and head from the elements whether that means water, sun, or wind.
Important Features to Consider
- Use Case. Are you wanting a hoodie that can serve as a base layer? Or do you just want a sweatshirt you can throw on when it gets a little chilly? Make sure to think about when you’re actually going to wear the hoodie because the hoodies above vary depending on the environment they are used in.
- Material. If you are going to be wearing your hoodie when hiking or sweating, consider avoiding hoodies with cotton in them. We personally are huge fans of merino wool. If you want the hoodie to add a lot of extra warm, checkout the fleece lined recommendations above.
- Extra Features. The only common feature between all our recommendations is the hood. Some designs incorporate extras like built-in face masks, hand warms, pockets, etc. Keep these extra features in mind when making your decision.
Do these hoodies make a lot of noise?
All of the hoodies recommended above are quiet. The material rubbing on itself doesn’t make much noise.