It you are looking to add a neck gaiter to your hunting gear,
to stay warmer, block the sun, and stay better concealed…
then today’s post is for you.
For those of you who haven’t used one before, a neck gaiter can add a lot of comfort to your hunt.
This article lists our favorite neck gaiters for hunting.
- 150g First Lite Aerowool Merino is naturally odor resistant & retains warmth when soaking wet
- Exclusive 37.5 Active Particle Technology Exhausts moisture and maintains core body temperature Traps odors (human signature) and releases them when laundered
- Aerowool dries faster and is more durable than traditional Merino wool
For the best all around neck gaiter for hunting, we selected the First Lite Aerowool gaiter as our top pick. The moisture wicking Aerowool blend offers the best mix between keeping you warm while staying cool in hot weather.
The 5 Top-Rated Neck Gaiters for Hunting
|Top Pick||First Light Aerowool||9.5|
|Best Cold Weather Neck Gaiter||SITKA Gear||9.4|
|Best Warm Weather Neck Gaiter||SITKA Core Lightweight||9.4|
|Best Budget Neck Gaiter||Yknktstc 5 Pack||8.5|
|Runner Up||Nomad Harvester||8.8|
Best Hunting Neck Gaiter: First Lite Aerowool
For those of you looking for the do-it-all neck gaiter, the First Lite Aerowool is our top pick. This gaiter is thick enough to help keep you warm while not so thick that it can’t be used in warm weather.
It’s made from First Lite’s Aerowool blend which is a mixture of Merino wool, Nylon, and Spandex.
The material is great at wicking away moisture so it will dry out quick after a sweaty hike. It also helps get rid of the moisture build up from your breath.
The fabric feels soft on your skin, doesn’t cause irritation, and stays soft after multiple washes.
This gaiter has also become our go-to face covering since that start of the COVID pandemic.
If you are only hunting in cold weather you mind want to go with something thicker but we love this gaiter for all purpose hunting use.
- Aerowool Blend
- 65% Merino, 33% Nylon, 2% Spandex
Best Cold Weather Neck Gaiter: SITKA Gear
- FLEECE NECK GAITER - Silky smooth and lined with double-thick, high-pile fleece, the camo neck gaiter will deliver ultra-warmth and concealment from the tree stand to the layout blind
- SECURE NECK COVER - Lightweight and ultra-breathable, the neck gaiter keeps the sun off your neck and pulls up for concealment when things heat up
- WARMTH & COMFORT - This camo neck gaiter features plush high pile fleece interior that provides ample warmth and maximum comfort
If you are looking for the best gaiter to use in cold temperatures, the SITKA Gear gaiter is our recommendation. Even though this gaiter is thicker and provides a lot of warmth, it still feels lightweight and breathes well.
The outside is made from a Polyester knit and is specially woven to stretch well like other SITKA clothing.
It comes in a wide variety of camo patterns so even if the rest of your gear isn’t SITKA you shouldn’t have an issue finding something that matches well.
This is a perfect choice if you are hunting in the snow or spend a lot of time hunting whitetail from a blind in the cold.
- Super-Stretch Polyester Knit
- Fleece Liner
Best Warm Weather Neck Gaiter: SITKA Core Lightweight
- SITKA CORE NECK GAITER - Great clothing accessory both for men and women while hunting for big game or whitetail; It is available in three colors: Elevated II, Optifade Subalpine, and Optifade Open Country; One size fits all
- PURPOSE BUILT - Lightweight and ultra-breathable, the Sitka Core Neck Gaiter keeps the sun off your neck and pulls up for complete concealment when things heat up
- POLYGIENE TECHNOLOGY - Each of the fabric weights -light, mid, and heavy - wicks away moisture to keep you warm and dry, while Polygiene technology safely and permanently neutralizes smells caused from sweat by using silver salt
For you early season, warm weather hunters, our top pick is the SITKA Core lightweight gaiter.
This gaiter is much thinner than the one above. It is tailored towards hunters who are looking for concealment and sun protection in warm weather.
SITKA makes this gaiter from the same super-stretch polyester material which keeps it snug around your face when in use.
The material is also prevents the growth of odor causing bacteria, so it doesn’t start to stink even after a few days of use.
- Super-Strech Polyester
Best Budget Neck Gaiter: Yknktstc 5 Pack
- ONE SIZE FITS MOST: 5 Packs Different Colors Camouflage Printed Face Mask Bandanas Sun UV Protection Anti Dust Neck Gaiter Face Cover Features a Lightweight And Breathable 4 Way Stretch Fabric That Fits Men, Women And Kids; Our Face Covers Have Raw Edges To Maximize The Stretch And Don't Scratch You; Fold It To Create 2 Layers For Added Protection And More Snug Fit. Note: The Natural Length And Width Is 21cm(8.2inch) And 15cm(5.9inch). The Thickness Is 3cm(1.18inch)
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL DESIGN: 12 Plus Ways To Wear It; Face Mask, Face Cover, Neck Gaiter, Headband, Headwrap, Pirate Cap, Wristband, Hairband, Balaclava, Face Cover, Seamless Mask, Beanie, Bandana, Mouth Cover And More. In The Winter, As a Lightweight Neck Gaiter, Face Cover, Beanie, Bandana, Headwarp, Pirate Cap Or Balaclava. In The Summer, Rock Your Headwear To Wick Away Sweat And Protect Yourself From The Sun Wind
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND BREATHABLE: Our Headband Is Made From Polyester 95% And Spandex 5% Microfiber, Which is Stretchy and Breathable. The Cloth Face Mask's Moisture Wicking Fabric Transfers Sweat Away From Your Body, Cooling You Down; The Quick Dry Fabric Technology Lets Your Mask Bandana Dry In Minutes; Our Soft And Breathable Fabric Can Be Worn Comfortably For Hours without Even Realizing That You Are Wearing it
If you are on a tight budget, checkout this 5 pack from Yknktstc. These are not of the same quality as the gaiters above but will still get the job done especially if you aren’t hunting in really cold temperatures.
Yknktstc makes these gaiters from 100% Polyester and the fact that you get 5 for this price is awesome.
You can keep a spare in your bag or truck.
For added warmth you can double them up and wear 2.
- 100% Polyester
- 5 Pack
Runner Up: Nomad Harvester
- NOMAD: Building the most innovative, authentic hunting apparel to inspire a community to experience & protect the traditions of hunting and to empower everyone on their next expedition
- NOMAD Harvester Neck Gaiter: A medium-weight, wind/water-resistant gaiter developed to keep you warm when the temperature falls | The exterior is a durable, quiet double knit bonded to a soft, high-pile interior for warmth and added stretch for comfort
- SUPERIOR WARMTH: This hunting gaiter is designed with super-soft high-pile sherpa fleece, engineered to trap air for added warmth
The Nomad Harvester is another great option for cold weather hunters. This gaiter is warm, blocks wind, and breathes well.
The outershell is 100% Polyester and the inside is lined with Sherpa fleece for added warmth.
Build quality of this gaiter is great, especially at the price point. No reason not to have some added comfort by using one of these in the cold.
- 100% Polyester Outer
- Sherpa Fleece Lined
Who Should Buy a Neck Gaiter for Hunting
There are a few good reasons to add a neck gaiter to your collection of hunting gear.
Concealment. First and foremost, neck gaiters are primarily worn for added concealment. They are easy to pull up over your face when you are in the final part of your stalk or when an animal approaches in the blind. All of the models above will cover 3/4 of your face.
Sun Protection. Neck gaiters have become very popular with fishermen and outdoor enthusiasts for this reason. Keeping the sun off your neck helps prevent sneaky sunburns after a day in the field.
Warmth. A neck gaiter can do a lot to help keep you warm. Anywhere that your bare skin is exposed is somewhere your body can lose heat at a faster rate. By staying as covered as possible you retain much more of the heat generated by your body. The gaiter also provides a barrier from wind. Wind speeds up the heat removal from your body so any type of wind shield will noticeably improve your warmth and comfort.
Important Features to Consider
- Material. The material the neck gaiter is made out of determines how warm it is, how well it breathes, and how well it wicks moisture. Materials like merino wool or polyester do a much better job than something like cotton.
- Warmth. Before selecting a neck gaiter, consider the conditions that you typically hunt in. If you hunt mostly cold weather then pick on that is thicker. If you hunt mostly warm weather then you will be better off with a thinner, moisture wicking material like the Aerowool in the First Light.
- Camo Pattern. Make sure to get a pattern that fits with both the terrain you hunt as well as the rest of your gear.
Are these long enough to cover face, ears, and neck?
All of the models recommended above are long enough to cover from your ears all the way down over your neck.