Are you looking for a new way to hunt small game?
Something new and challenging?
A slingshot is a unique and fun way to hunt small game like rabbits.
With some practice, they can be extremely accurate.
Today’s post lists our favorite slingshots for those getting into hunting small game.
- BARNETT DIABLO SLINGSHOT: Slingshot provides both power and precision and comes equipped with a detachable wrist brace, contoured soft-touch grip, target ammo, and an instructional shooting guide to teach you all the basics
- READY TO SHOOT: Slingshot comes ready to shoot with target ammo and an instructional shooting guide. Slingshot can become an effective small game hunting tool when combined with Barnett's selection of steel slingshot ammo.
- COMFORTABLE: Diablo Slingshot promotes both comfort and precision with features like its detachable wrist brace and contoured soft-touch grip
Based off our experience and research, we selected the Barnett Diablo as our top pick. This slingshot is good quality, accurate, and provides enough power to hunt small game.
The 5 Top-Rated Slingshots for Hunting Rabbits
|Top Pick||Barnett Diablo||9.4|
|Runner Up||Axiom Ocularis||9.4|
|Runner Up||Daisy P51||9.1|
|Best Budget Hunting Slingshot||Beeman Marksman||8.9|
Best Slingshot for Hunting Rabbits: Barnett Diablo
When it comes to the best all around slingshot for hunting small game, the Barnett Diablo is our top pick.
This is an easy-to-use, well made slingshot.
The pistol-grip handle is made from a mixture of plastic and rubber and it very comfortable in your hand.
It is also lightweight and your arm doesn’t get sore after shooting for a bit.
The frame has a built in wrist brace which helps a lot when trying to hold steady during pull-back. The brace is removable if you prefer not to use it or want to try without.
The bands are made from surgical tubing and provide plenty of power to hunt small game with.
Overall, this is a well made slingshot that is up to the task of hunting small game.
- Ergonomic Handle
- Wrist Brace
- Surgical Tubing Bands
Runner Up: Axiom Ocularis Hunting Slingshot
- Made in the USA, by slingshot enthusiasts, for slingshot enthusiasts
- Pocketable design can be taken on all your outdoor adventures
- Quick and Easy band change and adjustment with the Ocularis attachment system. (Bands must be installed by user.)
Our first runner up is the Axiom Ocularis by SimpleShot.
This is an awesome, compact slingshot that is great for target shooting and hunting.
Although the design looks simple, it is really well thought out and ergonomic.
It fits great in your hand and has features in the design that make it easy to hold when pulling back.
It uses flat bands which are great if you want to try different strength elastic.
Aiming this slingshot comes naturally and with practice it is extremely accurate.
Overall, this is an excellent slingshot.
- Compact Design
- Flat Bands
Best Budget Slingshot: Daisy P51
- Daisy’s top-of-the-line slingshot with two sizes of ammo and replacement bands.
- Sleek Pistol Grip Handle
- Flexible Wrist Support
Our next runner up is one of the most classic slingshot designs out there, the Daisy P51.
This slingshot features a wrist band for added stability and a pistol-grip handle.
The frame of the wrist support is adjustable so you can fit it specifically for your arm.
It uses surgical tubing bands which work well and are cheap to replace.
This is a solid, well designed slingshot that most people will be happy with.
- Adjustable Wrist Brace
- Surgical Tubing Bands
Runner Up: Lodonc
- 🎯PROFESSIONAL DESIGN - This is a very sturdy and practical slingshots, well made, more power and high velocity. High quality stainless steel integrated structure, durable and strong, anti-Ball Ammo impact. Recurve design solid wood handles fit perfectly, feels comfortable in hand, non-slip, great ergonomics,make easy to hold and shoot.
- 🎯PORTABLE - This slingshot is designed to be lightweight and compact, With a beautiful and practical storage box, you can put the slingshot into the box or your pocket easily, for eyes and attention training, entertainment, hiking, camping and outdoor hunting anytime and anywhere. This slingshot will provide great fun to your outdoor activities.
- 🎯EASY to INSTALL - This slingshot is very easy installation and using, easy to install or replace rubber bands and sighting device. If comes disassembled but thats not a big deal since its as easy as building blocks set, great for slingshot learners and slingshot shooting enthusiasts.(With installation and operation manual.）
Our final runner up is the Lodonc slingshot. This slingshot is a handheld design like the Axiom above.
It has a metal frame with wooden handle and has sights built in for aiming.
It uses flat bands that are easy to swap once it is time to replace them.
We still prefer the Axiom above, mainly because the handle seems to fit and feel better in the hand. This is still a solid choice for anyone looking for a handheld slingshot.
- Folding Wrist Brace
- Great Value
Best Budget Slingshot: Beeman Marksman
- Tempered steel yoke for maximum strength
- Hinged arm support folds for storage. Highest quality tubular thrust bands
- Black high impact plastic finger groove handle for solid and comfortable grip
If you want an inexpensive, fun to shoot slingshot, the Beeman Marksman is a good pick.
For the price, you can have a ton of fun with this thing. It has a folding wrist bracket and is comfortable to shoot.
The rubber isn’t the most durable and won;t last forever but should hold up for at least a few hundred shots. The bands are cheap and easy to replace once the time comes.
While there are better options out there for hunting, as long as you are within 7-10 yards this slingshot is capable of clean kills with well placed shots.
- Folding Wrist Brace
- Great Value
Who Should Buy a Slingshot for Rabbit Hunting
If you are interested in hunting rabbits, doing so with a slingshot is a unique and fun way to go about it. While it is not as easy as hunting rabbits with a .22, it can bring a new challenge to hunting them. Shooting a slingshot requires an entirely different skill set than shooting a rifle, shotgun, or bow.
Don’t be fooled by the thought of a slingshot not being adequate for hunting small game. These things are deadly and potentially dangerous. They should be treated with as much seriousness as any other type of weapon used for hunting.
A nice benefit of a slingshot is that it doesn’t demand the same requirements for practicing and honing your skills. Target practice with a slingshot is a lot of fun and a great way to pass some time.
It is important to note that you need to practice enough to the point where you can hit within an inch or so of your target before trying your hand at hunting small game. Most shots will be taken at a range of around 10 yards or so. When hunting, you need to go for headshots to produce humane kills. Make sure you are accurate enough before attempting.
Best Ammo For Small Game
- Great ammo for most slingshots
- Suitable for slingshot hunting or target shooting
- Smooth shape for great feel and long flight
When it comes to ammo for hunting small game like rabbits, you have a few options:
- Hex Nuts. Hex nuts are a very popular choice for ammo. M8 hex nuts are the most common size used.
- ~.40 Cal Ball. Round balls are another good option for hunting small game. They fly well and are accurate. The most common choice is usually something around 36-44 caliber.
- Steel Slugs. Another popular type of ammo for hunting are steal cylinders. A lot of people use something like 1/2″ steel rod, threaded will work, and cut them into 1/2″ lengths. These fly well and are very accurate once you have had some practice.
Important Features to Consider
- Wrist Support. Whether or not you get a slingshot with a wrist support is a matter of preference. It can make it easier to get leverage on your pull-back but with that said some of the best shooters in the world use the handheld style.
- Band Strength. If you plan to hunt small game with your slingshot you want to make sure you are using heavy elastic bands. The reason is you want to make sure the projectile flies with enough energy to product clean kills.
- Quality. Many manufacturers have outsourced their production to different locations in order to cut costs. It is important to keep an eye out for a design that has had recent quality issues as this might be a sign of a products quality degrading.
Where can I get replacement bands?
It depends on what type of bands your slingshot uses. Here are a few options for both surgical bands and flat bands.
- BARNETT MAGNUM POWER BAND: Magnum slingshot band with leather pouch created to replace slingshot bands on Barnett slingshots
- POWERFUL: Magnum slingshot band is more powerful than our standard power band, allowing you to shoot farther and more forcefully
- COMPATIBLE: Magnum Power Band was designed for use with all current Barnett slingshot models
- Length: about 21inch. Thickness: 1mm. Color: golden. Quantity：6 Pieces.
- Excellent wear resistant ,high resilience and tensile properties
- Suitable for sports competition , such as shooting ,hunting ,and so on.