If you want to make your game meat last 3-5x longer, you’re going to need the best vacuum sealer for hunters.
Luckily, that’s exactly what today’s post is all about.
I think you will agree with me when I say:
Processing your game from start to finish is A LOT of work.
Letting your meat go to waste or get ruined by freezer burn would be tragic.
Imagine unwrapping the backstraps from a buck you killed 6 months ago only to have your stomach sink in terror when you see the meat covered with ice.
Luckily, there is a solution.
It turns out you can get 3-5 times longer storage life of your food and prevent freezer burn significantly decrease the risk of freezer burn by using a vacuum sealer.
Today’s post will go through the best vacuum sealers for hunters and help you decide which one is right for you.
Whether you are processing elk or deer meat, don’t risk letting your hard earned kill getting ruined in the freezer.
Even if you take your animal to a butcher, you may want to repackage it.
Summary of Best Vacuum Sealer for Hunters
For starters, you’re probably here because you are in the market for a vacuum sealer and you don’t know which is best.
If you are short on time, here is a summary of the best vacuum sealer for hunters.
|Top Pick||Avid Armour USV32 Chamber Sealer||9.8|
|Best High-End Vacuum Sealer||VacMaster VP210 Chamber Sealer||9.7|
|Best Vacuum Sealer for Casual Hunters||FoodSaver Wingman||9.1|
|Best Budget Vacuum Sealer for Hunters||NutriChef PKVS||8.5|
The 7 Best Vacuum Sealers for Hunters
Avid Armor USV32 Chamber Sealer: Best Vacuum Sealer for Wild Game
The Avid Armor Chamber Vacuum Sealer is the best all-around vacuum sealer for hunters.
- Ensures Leak-Free Sealing - Keep your liquid-rich foods fresh for longer with the Avid Armor food vacuum sealer machine. This air sealer machine provides high vacuum pressure to effectively seal soups, sauces, marinades, or even your favorite cocktails.
- Marinating Made Easy - Unlike regular vacuum sealers for food, our kitchen sealing machine lets you marinate food items in the vacuum chamber. Place your meat in vacuum packers for food to open up its surface, and soak it in the marinade for minutes.
- Easy-to-Use Food Packing Machine - This vacuum seal machine has straightforward, one-touch controls to ensure a perfect, positive seal. It also comes with an 11.5-inch chamber vacuum seal bar and 2 sealing wires, so you pack more food items faster.
In fact, whether you are a hardcore hunter or you just want to vacuum seal a lot of game, this is an excellent choice.
Want to know why? Let’s dive in…
The chamber vacuum force is superb.
Unlike a typical vacuum sealer that tries to suck all of the air out of the bag, a chamber sealer pumps all of the air in the chamber out.
A truly airtight seal.
In addition to doing a better job of getting air out of the bag, this also means you can vacuum seal liquids like soup or venison stew.
What’s great about the Avid Armor is that the vacuum time is completely adjustable. It can be set from 15 seconds to 60 seconds to maximize vacuum when you need to.
Checkout this video to see it in action:
The first time you see a chamber sealer in action, you will quickly see why they have benefits over traditional vacuum sealers.
Now that we have covered chamber vacuum sealing, let’s move onto…
3 to 9 seconds.
That is how much time you are able to adjust the seal time on the Avid Armor.
When you happen to buy a different brand of bags that are a little thicker or thinner, you can easily adjust the time setting to get a good seal on your bags of meat.
You won’t have to worry about seals failing and your meat getting freezer burnt because the Avid Armor does a great job.
Let’s move onto another feature I love about the Avid Armor…
Traditional vacuum sealer bags can get expensive.
Especially if you are processing a deer or other large game.
Luckily, chamber bags are much cheaper!
Let’s look at an example:
A 3 pack of FoodSaver 11″ x 16′ vacuum sealer rolls costs around $28 online, likely more in local stores.
With this, you can make about 44 13″ bags. This works out to about $0.63 per bag.
By comparison, you can buy a pack of 250 11″ x 13″ chamber bags for about $35.
So, each bag costs about $0.14, which is 75% less than the FoodSaver bags!
This is a huge savings for anyone processing a lot of meat!
- Dimensions: 14″ x 12″ x 8.25″
- Chamber Size: 12.25″ x 8.5″ x 3″
- Clear Glass Lid
- Adjustable Vacuum Time
- Adjustable Seal Time
- Chamber vacuum does a great job of removing air.
- Adjustable seal time allows you to easily adjust to different bags.
- Can use chamber bags which are cheaper than traditional vacuum sealer bags.
- Unit is larger than typical vacuum sealers, they also sell a smaller USV20 version
If you are looking for the best vacuum sealer for hunters, I can’t recommend the Avid Armour Chamber Sealer enough.
It has everything you need for deer processing, fish, other wild game, you name it.
Sure, it costs more than some of the common vacuum sealers but if you plan on using it a lot, it is worth the money.
VacMaster VP210 Chamber Vacuum Sealer: Best High-End Vacuum Sealer
If you are looking for a top of the line vacuum sealer for all your big game processing needs, checkout the VacMaster VP210 Chamber Sealer.
- Dry maintenance-free machine pump.
- Keeps food fresh up to five times longer.
- A double seal on each bag ensures a complete and lasting seal.
Don’t let the high price tag dissuade, sometimes you get what you pay for.
This is the Cadillac of vacuum sealers. If money is not a concern or you are looking for a serious commercial vacuum sealer you found the right choice.
While it is a big investment, the quality, function, and durability of VacMaster is a serious machine.
This bad boy is build to last a lifetime.
Here’s why I think it is so great:
Like the Avid Armour, this is a chamber vacuum sealer so you get all the same benefits as above.
All the air is vacuumed out of the chamber.
And, the VacMaster has the highest pressure vacuum of any unit I have seen.
So you wind up with nice, tightly sealed meat nearly every time.
Plus, the vacuum time is adjustable so you can fine tune it to your liking.
Here is a video if you want to see it in action:
Adjustable Double Sealing
The bag sealing with the VacMaster is hands down the best.
It actually has a double seal wire, meaning it puts a double seal on the bag.
So even if one seal fails, the second seal will prevent air from getting into your bag and spoiling the meat.
Just like the vacuum time, the seal time is completely adjustable.
- Dimensions: 21″ x 24″ x 14.5″
- 27-29 Hg Vacuum Pressure
- Maintenance Free Pump
- Double Seal Wire
- Cycle Time 20-60 Seconds
- Higher Vacuum that typical units so you get much tighter sealed meat.
- Double bag seal so you never have to worry about a failed seal.
- Vacuum and Sealer are both completely customizable.
- Can package liquids like venison stew, Sous Vide etc.
- By far the most expensive vacuum sealer I have tried
- Unit is large, heavy and not as easy to store
The VacMaster can be considered the best vacuum sealer for hunters if you don’t factor in the price tag.
If you are a serious hunter who often ends up processing multiple animals per year you will benefit from the investment in this wonderful machine. The only problem is all your buddies will be lining up to use it once they hear how great it works.
Note: 10” wide bags max, common 11” wide will not work.
FoodSaver GameSaver Wingman: Best Sealer for Casual Hunters
The FoodSaver GameSaver Wingman is the best vacuum sealer for the casual hunter.
Whether you want something to vacuum seal deer meat after your year trip, or something you can use now and then when you go fishing, this is a great choice.
In fact, one of my buddies that hunts and fishes a few times a year uses this exact model.
Keep reading if you want to find out more…
Designed for Wild Game
If the camo top didn’t give it away, FoodSaver designed the vacuum sealer specifically for wild game.
Most consumer vacuum sealers are meant for all types of food, not just meat.
This unit has been beefed up with a stronger pump because with larger pieces of meat it can be hard to get all the air out of the bag.
And, the unit has a sensor to automatically detect when it has reached the right pressure.
Another feature I really like is the…
Wide Sealing Strip
Like I said, this is meant for wild game.
So, FoodSaver made this unit with a longer than normal sealing strip so you can easily use 11″ bags.
And the strip is also capable of doing 60 consecutive seals so you can pre-seal one of a bunch of bags at once.
FoodSaver says you can use the unit to process up to 180 lbs. of wild game continuously.
- Wide Sealing Strip
- Locking latch
- Build in roll holder and cutter
- Moist and Dry settings
- 15″ Hg pressure
- Good reviews
- 60 consecutive seals
- Small and portable (5.75 lb)
- Automatic pressure sensor
- Vacuum not as powerful as chamber models
If you are looking for a vacuum sealer for deer meat or other wild game, you can’t go wrong with the FoodSaver GameSaver Wingman.
It has everything you need if you plan to use this a few times a year on your hunting and fishing trips.
The unit is portable, easy to use, and reliable.
For the price, you should get a lot of value out of this sealer.
NutriChef PKVS: Best Budget Vacuum Sealer for Hunters
The NutriChef PKVS Vacuum Sealer is the perfect budget vacuum sealer for hunters.
- THE IDEAL MONEY AND TIME SAVING SOLUTION: Cooking and meal preparation will become easier, less expensive and faster, as you will be able to equip and organize your freezer, with fresh food ready to be defrosted and served or fresh ingredients instead of freezer burned food filled with ice crystals which will probably end up in the trash can.Polyamide Sealable bags Withstands food temperature of 212 ℉ max.
- EASY TO OPERATE: Fully automatic simple electric plug in design with the control center placed on the top panel and soft touch digital buttons along with led indicator lights A smart device at your family’s service
- TWO SEALING MODES: Useful and practical, the NutriChef vacuum sealing system is cleverly designed owning two selectable modes to provide your food with the best possible preservation based on the type of food you want to seal You can choose the dry indication for solid food items and the moist indication for poached, simmered or steamed food
If that’s what you’re looking for, let’s explore why…
Automatic Vacuum System
For a low-cost vacuum sealer, you might not have high expectations.
But the NutriChef was a pleasant surprise.
The unit has a one-button vac-seal function that automatically vacuums the bag to the correct amount and then seals it all in one simple step.
While this isn’t going to allow you to customize the settings to your exact liking, this works well for most users.
A lot of hunters aren’t looking for a commercial sealer with all the bells and whistles.
You just want something that you can rely on now and then when you need to process some game meat.
- Dimensions: 14.5″ x 6″ x 3″
- Takes Up To 12″ Bags
- 1-Button Fully Automatic Vacuum Sealing
- 2 Sealing Modes
- Very popular budget option on Amazon
- Compact size
- Lightweight (3 lbs.)
- Optional accessories available
- May not be suited for heavy, frequent use
The NutriChef is nice and compact which is perfect for transporting on hunting trips and it doesn’t take up a ton of cabinet space. It has a nice high tech feel with its touch buttons.
It also includes a wine stopper accessory to allow you winos to preserve open bottles longer.
My only hesitation with the NutriChef is whether it will stand up to heavy use required by big game. With that said I still think it is a great budget option.
FoodSaver GameSaver Big Game: Runner-Up
If you are looking for a close alternative to the Wingman above, the FoodSaver GameSaver Big Game is worth a look.
- HARD-EARNED GAME STAYS FRESH LONGER: The GameSaver Vacuum Sealing System removes air from specially designed bags, then applies heat so it seals meat, fish, and poultry airtight to prevent freezer burn and spoilage
- HEAVY-DUTY CONSTRUCTION: High-performance power processes and preserves faster with up to 80 consecutive seals or 240 pounds
- CONVENIENCE GRAB & GO DESIGN: Rugged carry handle, 12-volt DC adaptor, and built-in storage compartment for the Fresh Handheld Sealer make it convenient to power up and preserve from autos, boats, and RVs
To keep it simple:
They are pretty similar.
The Big Game is slightly larger and meant to be a little more heavy duty.
It has many of the same features as the Wingman but is larger and a bit more rugged.
Instead of being rated for continuous use processing 180 lbs. of wild game, the Big Game is rated for 240 lbs and 80 consecutive seals.
One cool addition that I like:
It comes with a 12V DC adapter so it can be powered with a vehicle.
The model is heavier and more rugged but other than that the performance is comparable.
- Dimensions: 23.7″ x 10.2″ x 5.2″
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Has a 12V DC adapter
- Built in drip tray
- Grab handle
- 15″ Hg pressure
- Automatic pressure sensor
- Popular with hunters
- 80 consecutive seals is capable of processing a large animal
- The 12V DC adapter is great if you are wanting to use on a boat or in an RV
- Rugged Design so you can bring it along on your hunting and fishing trips
- Doesn’t vacuum as well as the chamber models.
The bottom line is if you’re leaning towards the FoodSaver Wingman, the Big Game is also worth considering.
If you hunt large game, and process a lot of meat this is the vacuum sealer for you. The Big Game will continually process up to 240 lbs of meat.
This unit is a heavier duty model than the Wingman weighing in at 9lbs. While it may not be as easy to lug around you can rest assured it will stand up to some serious abuse.
Nesco VS-12: Budget Runner-Up
If the NutriChef above doesn’t sound quite right for you, the Nesco VS-12 is another budget option.
- OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE: 130 watt, 25. 1 InHG double vacuum pump for optimal performance. Ensures maximum air extraction when sealing larger food items
- VARIABLE SETTINGS: Includes 3 settings - dry, moist and double. Plus, you can choose between normal vacuum pressure, or gentle, to keep soft foods safe
- EASY-LOCK HANDLE: The easy-lock handle makes one-handed operation smooth and easy
The Nesco is a nice machine and a well known brand.
It has some nice features such as a manual override in case you are working with something fragile like bread. It also has built in protection that will prevent overheating the sealing strip.
If you buy the Nesco, make sure to get the black/silver unit because it has all the features.
- Dimensions: 15.75″ x 8″ x 4.5″
- Easy-Lock Handle
- 3 Vacuum Settings
- Automatic Vacuum Sealing
- Holds Up to 11.8″ Bags
- Nesco is a reputable brand
- Good quality sealer for the price
- The unit is fairly large. Cabinet space is often hard to come by and something you may want to take into consideration.
FoodSaver V440: Not My Favorite Vacuum Sealer for Hunters
I’ll be honest. This is one of the first vacuum sealers I used for a while.
- Seal freshness in: Meat preserved with the FoodSaver system in the freezer can last up to 3 years and still taste fresh, flavorful, and freezer burn free; Prep ahead meals, leftovers, and produce stored in the fridge will stay fresh up to weeks later instead of spoiling in days.Includes: (1) 11""x10' vacuum seal roll (3) 1-quart vacuum seal bags (2) 1-gallon vacuum seal bags (3) 1-quart vacuum zipper bags (2) 1-gallon zipper bags
- Automatic bag detection: Automatic bag detection makes vacuum sealing easier than ever: Simply put the bag in the vacuum chamber and the machine does the rest to ensure your food stays fresh and flavorful
- Simple to use: Built in roll storage and cutter lets you easily make custom sized bags to fit whatever you seal, while led light indicators easily guide you through the vacuum sealing process
And I thought it was solid.
But after using some of the other models in this article, especially the chamber sealers, I was less impressed.
Don’t get me wrong, the FoodSaver V4440 is still a quality vacuum sealer and will work just fine for processing meat, I think your money is better spent elsewhere.
If you still want to learn more about it, keep reading.
- Automatic Bag Detection
- Built-in Roll Storage and Cutting
- Fully Automatic Operation is pretty simple to use.
- Pull-Out Drip Tray is nice for catching excess juices and liquids.
- The built in bag storage is nice because you don’t have to store your bags separately.
- The sealer gets hot and needs time to cool down after repeated use.
- Doesn’t vacuum air out as well as other models.
- Sometimes lets air in between vacuuming and sealing.
If you are looking for a vacuum sealer to use for brief periods and for food besides wild game, the FoodSaver V4440 will get the job done.
But if you plan on vacuum sealing big game after a hunt, it might disappoint you.
The sealer seems to be the biggest issue. Sometimes it needs to cool down and it seems to let a small amount of air in between vacuuming and sealing.
I would stick to one of the other models above that is in your price range.
What are the benefits of a vacuum sealer for hunters?
Using a vacuum sealer makes it easy to prevent the tragic scenario above. Anything you vacuum seal will:
- Keeps meat fresh longer
- Not get ruined by freezer burn
- Taste better because the food retains its natural moisture
- You save time and money
- Makes it easy to keep your freezer organized
You don’t have to limit yourself to game like venison either.
They work great for fish and store bought meat as well.
The next time your favorite cut is on sale you can stock up and vacuum seal many packs at once.
This allows you to enjoy your food (that’s usually expensive) at your leisure instead of having to eat it all before it spoils.
How long does frozen game meat usually last?
The conventional storage life of meat is ~6 months.
For fish, typically even less.
Foodsaver claims that once vacuum sealed, the life can extend to as much as 3 years!
What causes freezer burn and why does vacuum sealing help?
Contact with cold dry air pulls the moisture out of the food leaving it dry and tasteless.
Freezer burn is caused by the moisture getting pulled out of food by the cold dry air in a freezer. Not only is the flavor ruined but the texture is destroyed by the moisture as it freezes and makes its way to the surface of your food.
Checkout this failed vacuum seal on a salmon fillet:
When this happens, the salmon is exposed to oxygen. Many bacteria species need air to grow and multiply. Most bacteria that cause food to spoil need oxygen to grow and multiply.
Mold is similar. Without air they are starved and unable to survive.
Here is what a good vacuum seal should look like:
Now the salmon is protected from pesky bacterial and mold due to the limited oxygen exposure.
By sucking all the air molecules out of the bag, bacteria that needs air to multiply are starved and unable to grow.
Vacuum Sealer for Wild Game Review Criteria
Vacuum force: The higher the vacuum pressure, the better the air will be removed from the bag before sealing.
Sealing: Vacuum sealers use heat to melt the plastic bag and create an airtight seal. You want your vacuum sealer to create an airtight seal.
Ease of Use: If the unit is time consuming and frustrating to use it will offset the benefits gained. Automatic bag sealing and cutting are also nice time saving features. Automatic sensing when all air has been removed from the bag helps keep you from wasting time over or under vacuuming.
Storage: Unless you have a place to setup and leave your sealer, you will probably prefer a sealer that stores nicely.
Portability: For hunters and fishermen who want to bring their vacuum sealer with them on their trips.
Bag size: If you plan to use your vacuum sealer to preserve game you kill you will want a unit that is able to use large bags. Many pieces of meat on large game can be quite large.
If you would like to find out more about how we review hunting gear, checkout How We Rate Hunting Gear.
Why Should You Trust Me?
Because I use a vacuum sealer for deer meat, fish, and other wild game.
Over the years I have tried quite a few different models.
And because I actually hunt and when I harvest game, I want to feel confident knowing that all the meat will last so it doesn’t go to waste.
I am not affiliated with any of the companies recommended in this article and did not receive any endorsements.
My reviews are based off my own experience and opinions.
If you purchase a vacuum sealer based on my reviews and use one of my links, I receive a small commission (usually a couple %). You do not get charged any extra. This money goes towards keeping the site running, buying more gear, and rewards me a little for the time it takes to put these articles together.
FAQs about Vacuum Sealers for Game Meat
How do I prep meat for vacuum sealing?
Here are a few helpful tips:
- Freeze meat slightly ahead of time, 30 min-1hr to firm up.
- You can also pre-wrap meat with plastic wrap to create extra protection from air.
- Cut bags slightly bigger than you need. It’s better to cut to large than too small.
How does a vacuum sealer work?
A pump inside the machine sucks the air out of the bag until there isn’t any left or it cannot create anymore pressure. This is why higher pressure units do a better job of getting the air out.
Why should I use a vacuum sealer instead of a container?
As mentioned many other times in this article, food will retain its freshness and last much longer once air is removed with the use of a vacuum sealer.
How long does it take to vacuum seal a bag?
It usually takes somewhere between 5-60 seconds depending on the size of the bag and what is in it.
Do vacuum sealers require any maintenance?
After some use your sealer may require you to replace gaskets. This will help maintain the suction that pulls the air out of the bag. Replacing a gasket is quick and easy.
Where can I get more vacuum sealer bags?
While you will be able to find extra bags in your local stores, I think you can get much better prices if you purchase them online.
Most brands are interchangeable as along as the bag width is within what your unit can handle.
You can make your own pouches by buying rolls or buy pre-made bags which only require sealing on one side. You can even wash and reuse bags.
- Distinctive Cutter-box Design Creating Your Own Length of Bags: Equipped with cutter-box, you can customize KitchenBoss vacuum sealer rolls to fit any food, no need scissors. Reducing wasted material and get greatest value.
- High Quality: KitchenBoss vacuum sealer bags are made of heavy duty lastest nylon and polyethylene materials ensure safety. Two layers 4 million heavy-duty bags with air-removal channel which are stable for freezer, refrigeration, microwave, and sous vide cooking.
- Versatile Usage to Fit for Vacuum Sealer and Sous Vide Cooking: Our food vacuum sealers rolls compatible with all vacuum sealers and sous vide, such as KitchenBoss.
Anyone processing wild game for their freezer needs to get themselves a vacuum sealer.
And I think the best vacuum sealer for hunters is the Avid Armour USV32 Chamber Sealer.
I hope you found this post helpful. The reason it is so long is because vacuum sealers aren’t cheap and I wanted to do my best to help you figure out which model will work for you.
So now you should have a better idea:
Which vacuum sealer is best for your hunting needs?
If you are still on the fence about purchasing, just think of how much longer your deer meat could last in the freezer.
Also, if you are looking for great recipes to prepare your deer meat, I highly recommend Buck, Buck, Moose.