You see a nice gobbler about 100 yards away…
You try calling him in with your favorite mouth call…
You switch it up and give your scratch box a try…
Later, your buddy blames it on the fact that you don’t have any camouflage covering your face and says you got spotted.
Is he right?
Who knows, but one thing is for sure, you should be wearing a face mask or paint when turkey hunting.
In this post, we will list exactly which face masks we like the best. That way next time your lack of concealment can’t be blamed.
- ColdGear Infrared uses a soft, thermo conductive inner coating to absorb & retain your own body heat
- Under Armour Scent Control technology traps & suppresses odors so you're less detectable & more lethal
- Form fitting balaclava offers full facial protection in extreme cold
After our research, we selected the Under Armour ColdGear face mask as our top pick. This face mask has everything you could ask for. It is comfortable, well-made, and will keep you warm. Any turkey hunter should be happy with its performance.
The 5 Top-Rated Face Masks for Turkey Hunting
|Top Pick||Under Armour ColdGear||9.5|
|Runner Up||Allen Company||9.4|
|Best Hunting Face Mask for Glasses||DecoyPro||9.2|
|Runner Up||Ergodyne N-Ferno||9.1|
|Runner Up||EAmber Ghillie 3D||8.9|
Best Turkey Hunting Face Mask: Under Armour ColdGear
Our top pick for a turkey face mask is the Under Armour ColdGear.
This is an excellent face masks that has just about everything going for it.
It is made from 100% polyester and has a soft inner shell that is designed to retain your body heat and keep you warm.
The material also does a great job of wicking away moisture so it won’t become damp and uncomfortable if you sweat.
Under Armour uses a 4 way stretch fabric that allows the fit to adapt well to your head shape.
The face mask also features Under Armour’s Scent Control technology so you will stay undetectable.
- 100% Polyester
- Moisture Wicking
- Thermo Conductive Inner Shell for Warmth
- Scent Control
Runner Up: Allen Company
- Full coverage balaclava face mask
- Hood flips down
- Mesh inlay for breathability
Our first runner up is the Allen Company face mask. This is another great face mask for turkey hunting.
The material is comfortable and feels soft on your skin. Although it does not provide as much warmth as the Under Armour, it still helps and offers good protection against the wind.
The hood portion of the mask flips down which is nice when you start to get too hot and it has a mesh section around the mouth/nose to improve the breath-ability.
Allen Company uses the Mossy Oak Break-Up Country camo pattern which should work well for a wide variety of common terrains found turkey hunting.
Overall, you can’t go wrong with this one.
- Flip Down Hood
- Mesh Section for Breathing
- Mossy Oak Break-Up Country Camo
Best Hunting Face Mask for Glasses: DecoyPro
- CAMO FACE MASK FOR JUST $14.99 & FREE Shipping! Some camouflage face masks cost $30 or more. These make for a perfect camo face mask for turkey hunting, duck hunting face mask and bow hunting face mask.
- BREATHABLE, QUICK DRYING MATERIAL - These camo face masks are made out of lightweight, quick drying material making them the perfect camo full face masks to keep you concealed and comfortable during your hunting trips.
- ONE SIZE FITS MOST CAMO FACEMASK - This camo face mask for hunting is designed to fit well on a most head sizes for a natural and comfortable feel. Works on hunters with large head hunters as well as youth hunters.
If you wear glasses and are looking for a hunting face mask that will fit comfortably, our pick is the DecoyPro face mask.
The DecoyPro uses a mesh fabric so it is very breathable and well suited for moderate temperatures.
The fit is very comfortable and the mesh design allows glasses to be worn without the glasses getting pressed into the sides of your head.
The opening is easy to pull down around your mouth or up over the top of your head if you want to eat or need to cool down.
This is another great option and at a good price point too.
- Mesh Material
- Good for Glasses
- Flexible Face Opening
Runner Up: Ergodyne N-Ferno
- WIND-RESISTANT – Protective fabric paneling over face shields against the wind’s bite
- BREATH EASY – Align mesh panel over the mouth for optimal airflow
- HINGED DESIGN – Can be worn in 3 different ways: open face balaclava, neck gaiter or full ski mask
Our next runner up is the Ergodyn N-Ferno. This face mask shares a lot in common with the Under Armour above.
The 100% polyester material feels very similar to the Under Armour and does a good job of keeping you warm.
There is a nice mesh pattern over the nose/mouth so you can breath without moisture build up.
You can wear it multiple ways like some of the other models when is convenient when you are eating, drinking, or calling.
- 100% Polyester
- Mesh Patch for Breathing
- Flexible Design
Runner Up: EAmber Ghillie 3D
- 【Super Soft and Breathable】 - Made of lightweight, quick-dry polyester material,feels comfortable and snug, stitching and edges are rounded and comfortable. Made of thin mesh material, wears very breathable. The mouth opening allows easy exhalation and drinking water.
- 【One Size for All】 - Highly elastic material and large size cut makes one size fits almost all heads. There is an elastic adjustment strap at the back of the head, you can adjust it according to your head size. It will also fix your eye area, and prevent from moving during observation.
- 【Camo Outdoor Concealment】 - It gives you camo in the tree,with very small amount of your face exposed. You can also put down the curtain on the forehead to cover the eyes area, and completely hide your head.
Our final runner up is the EAmber Ghillie face mask. If you are looking for a 3D face mask, this is your best bet.
The face mask has a ton of “3D” features which can help you blend in and make you undetectable in certain terrain.
The material is a lightweight polyester which is very breathable and does a good job of wicking away moisture.
Our only complaint is that it does have a bit of an odor but it that should fade once it has been washed.
It also comes with a 1 month warranty, so if you are not happy with it you can return it.
- 3D Features
- 100% Polyester
- 1 Month Warranty
Who Should Buy a Hunting Face Mask
Anyone who is hunting game that have great eyesight (turkeys, ducks, etc.) should be using either a face mask or face paint. Turkeys have significantly better eyesight than humans and it is part of their defense against pray. Nearly all good turkey hunters use some form of face concealment.
The argument as to whether using face paint or a face mask is better is up for debate. Both have pros and cons. Here is a list of the pros and cons of using a face mask for turkey hunting:
- Less messy than face paint, no cleanup
- Only takes a second to put on
- Some face paints are reflective and look less natural
- No scent
- Provides added warmth
- Harder to match exact terrain, especially if it varies where you hunt
- Covers your ears, making it hard to hear
Important Features to Consider
- Thickness/Warmth. Depending on the season and where you hunt, it might be pretty cold out when you are turkey hunting. If that is the case, the added warmth that comes along with wearing a face mask is a great benefit. Conversely, if you hunt mostly warmer weather, consider purchasing a lighter-weight model that breathes well.
- Comfort. You will likely be wearing your face mask for hours at a time so you want to make sure it is comfortable. If it is too small or too tight in certain areas it will drive you crazy, possibly even give you a headache. This is also important if you wear glasses. Pick a face mask like our recommendation above that has adequate space for glasses so they aren’t being smashed into the sides of your head.
- Durability. We all know hunting can take its tole on gear. Stuff that doesn’t last plain sucks. We believe all the picks above are good quality and that you should have no problem getting at least a few years of use out of them.
Is it possible to pull down to eat/drink?
It is possible with all the models above, although some are easier than others. The easiest for pulling the face opening down is the DecoyPro.
Are they machine washable?
Yes, all the models we recommend above are machine washable.
Is it hard to breathe with a face mask on?
We would say it isn’t hard to breathe with any of them on but some are a little easier than others. The best breathing face masks are the ones with the mesh pattern near the mouth/nose.